Here are just a few snippets of the leadership insights and wisdom these leaders shared. I hope you enjoy these quotes.
- Never stop improving. “When I hear people say, ‘Well, that’s just not the way we do things,’ my hair stands up. You have to be careful not to let success breed a one-dimensional way of thinking.” Mark Parker, CEO of Nike
- Seek disagreement. “ Surround yourself with good people who like things you don’t like.” Grace Doré, Fashion blogger
- “No” is a powerful tool. “We were given some great advice early on: Strategy is what you don’t do. Whenever we do anything we ask ourselves, ‘Is this true to Warby Parker?’” Neil Blumenthal, Co-CEO, Warby Parker
- The path to success is unpredictable. “Six years ago I would’ve said we’re going to outsource engineering, operations, and dry cleaning. Now those are the three largest parts of our business.” Jennifer Hyman, Cofounder and CEO, Rent the Runway
- Ignore the doubters. “There wasn’t a blueprint for my kind of career. When I made the transition into Hollywood, it scared a lot of people.” Dwayne Johnson, Actor
- Demand excellence. “Mediocrity drives me crazy.” Debi Mazar, Actress
- Know your purpose. “It’s not that fun to start an organization unless you feel like you’re solving a problem.” Barbara Bush, Cofounder and CEO, Global Health Corps
- Go big. “We’re working on 100-year, 200-year, 300-year, 1000-year questions.” Casey Gerald, Cofounder and CEO, MBAs Across America
- Keep it all in perspective. “A strange and astonishing fact is that you and I are made of the stuff of the cosmos—exploded stars and other rogue material. The fact that you and I are made of stardust is one of the ways the universe knows itself.” Bill Nye, The Science Guy
Online access to most of the wisdom in this article can be found at http://Fast Company.